Re: Base64spam eliminated!

2005-09-23 17:30:16
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

This might come as a surprise: All attachments are in the body.

The body is that part of the message that follows the header. The header
consists of several header fields, such as Subject and From etc.
The header stops at the very first empty line, which separates the
header from the body. The rest of the message is called 'the body'.

Huh? I just tested this again to make sure. I created something called
test.fil and attached to a message that I sent to my other account on
panix. I then opened it up on the panix server side with pine and it was
not in the body, but designated as an attachment. I also went ahead and
used Eudora to open my panix mail and the file showed up as a clickable
icon in the body of the message. I never bothered to send myself a base64
attachment but I would expect to behave the same way. Right? Since when do
attachments get opened up in the body of a message? Is it because it is
"mime encoded"? I am really on shaky ground on all this. In any case, if
you think that a mime/base64 attachment will automatically be opened in
the body of a message, can you just fill me (us) in on the steps that you
would go through to do this? I imagine that there is some unix command
that will do base64 encoding. What happens after that? Even though I don't
have the problem now, I am still curious to see what these bastards did to
make my life miserable.