Re: The Case For XML in "Caller-ID for Email"

2004-01-23 21:23:50
In <EHEOIEJMBFBKCKMPHFJKIENLEPAA(_dot_)lists(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> "Julian
Mehnle" <lists(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

How exactly is it a privacy concern for a receiving SMTP server (that is
[...]

*What* more information fields?

Any info that is a macro can be passed back to the domain owner's DNS
server.  This is limited to the IP address, the email address and the
HELO string.  From the DNS packet, you can also get the time the query
was made and the name server that is making the request.

All this information is regularly "disclosed" when MTAs verify the
domain by checking for an MX record, or by doing a sender callback.

I think privacy concerns should be thought out carefully, but I don't
see any problem with SPF as it sits right now.

-wayne