Re: SPF advocacy

2004-01-27 16:40:51
Well I see a lot of "road warriors" going to places where there is very
unreliable connections to the internet that may or may not be able to
connect to any of the corporate mail servers to send mail.  They would
still like to send mail using their own corporate email address.

Most of these may use a primary mail system but since they are made up of
many different companies generally will support most any mail
client/system.  Most of the corporations I'm talking about are not just
getting their feet wet in the technology, they are places like IBM,
Intel, HP, Raytheon, Northrup-Grumman, Lockheed-Martin.  I'm fairly sure
that there is nobody looking very hard at this new standard at the
corporate level but if it does not provide anything for them then it's
not going to be implemented.

Case 1: Connectivity is so good that Road Warrior can make a TCP
connection to any server on the Internet. In this case, Road Warrior
could set up VPN connection to his own company. If there's not enough
money for a Checkpoint/SecuRemote or something similar, they could
still set up an ssh-tunnel using putty on the laptop, and sshd on the
company's server, and tunnel an SMTP connection through this. That's
how I usually access my SMTP server.

Case 2: Road Warrior can't make a TCP connection to the Internet. If
this is due to a bad ISP, s/he's skrewed anyway, so we don't need to
discuss this case. So it's most likely because s/he's behind somebody's
firewall, and the only way to cross it, is to use an SMTP proxy that
can be used from the inside. In this case, your Road Warrior is
skrewed, too, as this SMTP Proxy gets access to all of the sent
e-mail, and I can't fathom that Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, etc. can
willingly agree to their Road Warriors' e-mail being read (or even
altered!) by any old student who administers this proxy on behalf of a
hotel, coffee shop, airline, business partner, competitor, etc.

Dropping your e-mail into the next best SMTP server or proxy is as
irrepsonsible, as, well as, you know what. Just say no.

By simply installing a freely available SSH client like Putty, and
preconfiguring an SMTP and IMAP tunnel back home to your company's
headquarter, you avoid all of these risks.

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage