RE: SPF advocacy

2004-01-27 12:23:02
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
ck(_at_)kuckuk(_dot_)com
Sent: January 26, 2004 4:47 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] SPF advocacy

I think agreement can be reached in the cases where
- companies tell their employees which SMTP server to use

What about large corporations where the company does not tell the
employees what SMP server to use?

All the companies I know want to have tight control over the
e-mail that is sent or received by their employees, and they
mandate using specific software (Notes, Groupwise, etc) and
sending and receiving all their e-mail via central servers.
Home office workers usually connect via VPN to their
company's networks. So I don't see any problems here except
for big corporations who are just getting their feet wet with
Internet technology.

What about educational institutions? If we want to have this debate again
(this horse just won't die), you need to look at more than your
publicly-traded Fortune 500 companies.

That said, I don't really want to resuccitate this horse... But I have
argued in the past (see the archives) and will argue again that there are
many legitimate reasons why someone would need to use a
non-domain-owner-provided SMTP server in cases where the domain owner's SMTP
follows the old "relay for your local IPs" model. Such a domain owner could
not, without severely inconveniencing some people (many of whom are at the
bottom of the organizational food chain), deploy SPF without reconsidering
how people in this "grey" zone use email.

Vivien

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com