Re: SPF advocacy

2004-01-27 18:13:06
Theo Van Dinter wrote:

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:40:51AM +0100, ck(_at_)kuckuk(_dot_)com wrote:

still set up an ssh-tunnel using putty on the laptop, and sshd on the
company's server, and tunnel an SMTP connection through this. That's
how I usually access my SMTP server.

They could also just do TLS/SMTP AUTH.  This is how I send mail while
on the road.

Even if the ISP blocks 25, there's always 465. ;)

The issue that I've seen is where a road-warrior is visiting another company's location, where they get a private IP address (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc.), and the firewall is such that only HTTP traffic is allowed to pass. And even that traffic gets put through a proxy server, sometimes with a username/password becaues the company heavily monitors web usage.

So it does happen, generally the only choices are:

- sent via the internal SMTP server, changing addresses/reply-to enough to get the mail routed outbound (good idea to use PGP/GPG at this point)

- borrow somebody's fax line for a few minutes and dial-out to a public ISP, then VPN/SSH to the proper SMTP server back at your office

- use a web-mail package to check for any new mail back at the office

- go find a local public WiFi access point where you can "phone home"

- wait until you get back to the hotel in the afternoon/evening

(option #2 is usually the route I take when dealing with locked down environments)

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage