Re: SPF advocacy

2004-01-27 08:33:22

On 26 Jan 2004 ck(_at_)kuckuk(_dot_)com
<spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think agreement can be reached in the cases where
- companies tell their employees which SMTP server to use

What about large corporations where the company does not tell the
employees what SMP server to use?

All the companies I know want to have tight control over the e-mail
that is sent or received by their employees, and they mandate using
specific software (Notes, Groupwise, etc) and sending and receiving
all their e-mail via central servers. Home office workers usually
connect via VPN to their company's networks. So I don't see any
problems here except for big corporations who are just getting their
feet wet with Internet technology.

Well I see a lot of "road warriors" going to places where there is very
unreliable connections to the internet that may or may not be able to
connect to any of the corporate mail servers to send mail.  They would
still like to send mail using their own corporate email address.

Most of these may use a primary mail system but since they are made up of
many different companies generally will support most any mail
client/system.  Most of the corporations I'm talking about are not just
getting their feet wet in the technology, they are places like IBM,
Intel, HP, Raytheon, Northrup-Grumman, Lockheed-Martin.  I'm fairly sure
that there is nobody looking very hard at this new standard at the
corporate level but if it does not provide anything for them then it's
not going to be implemented.

Certain companies (banks, etc.) also are required to archive all
e-mail traffic, so they have no choice here.

Most corporations archive all email traffic at least for some period.

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage

Thomas R. Stephenson, CPL          Phone: (408) 742-3308
Lockheed Martin Technical Operations
MILSTAR Logistics Engineering O/M5-41  B/158
P.O. Box 61687 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1687

Member Pegasus Mail Support Team

Thought for the day:
Boy that lightning is coming a little too close-***$*%***NO CARRIER