Re: Re: "extreme SPF" scenario for ISPs

2004-02-02 21:28:40
On Tuesday 03 February 2004 3:59 am, John Warren wrote:
You change the port on your MUA to use port 587 and authenticate.
Simple, you don't need port 25 it the MTA your connecting to is not
broken.

You are missing the point. A 'mail server' is whatever I say it is.

And SMTP-AUTH is only good for remote MTA's that I have an account with, it is
not a general-purpose solution.

Only if you have an account on that MTA. If you don't then you go
through your assigned MTA.

No No NO! Again you miss the point. I want my delivery to a THIRD PARTY, VIA
STANDARD ESMTP STARTTLS ENCRYPTION to be PRIVATE.

I do NOT have or need any kind of 'account' on this server, and I DO NOT TRUST
my ISP with the mail.

Let's start with the US. After than we could always pressure the ISP to
use a blacklist of foreign ISP that don't.

That will never work. You seem to think it is obvious what a valid 'mail
server' is and what is not. This is naive.

Personally I think a 'valid mail server' is any IP address. Period.

Fine, let them. Now we know what the address are so they will be easy
to block.

They will keep setting up new ones, and they will sue anyone who gets in the
way of their right to send spam.

I support SPF but it's not a cure all. Unless several problems are
corrected corporate users will never us it.

What are these problems?

Yes, spammers. I really don't care if they run mail server and if fact
I would support them doing so. Make it easier for me to block them.

Your views are so extreme, I think you would be better off whitelisting.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt