RE: Re: "extreme SPF" scenario for ISPs

2004-02-03 13:00:06
John Warren wrote:
It's time that the US government force all ISP to block any of their
customers from using port 25 unless they request it for their own mail
server. To get that port 25 access they would have to agree that the
ISP could test their server any time they want.

That is a horribly bad idea.  Not to mention that the Internet at large
is outside the scope of the US.

This is the only way we are ever going to stop direct to MX spam, the
only way!
My ISP is doing this and I 100% support them!

I'm glad you found a provider that meets your requirements!  But I would
wager that SPF will help the situation substantially.

If an ISP argues that such traffic should not be blocked, even from
private customers, I would say that I agree with them.
And I say NO. Only customers that run mail servers should ever be
allowed to have use of port 25, period!

I have to say that I strongly believe that ISP's should not block the
ports of their customers.  SMTP port blocking is an industry reaction to
address the symptoms of a problem.  I have always believed that it is
much more reasonable to address the problem itself, not the problem's
symptoms.  SPF addresses the problem (well, a significant part of it).
Port blocking addresses the symptom.

---
Dustin D. Trammell
Vulnerability Remediation Alchemist