short-term ISP policies

2004-06-04 14:54:05
Which makes one wonder: do you have the right isp? If you want to run
servers and get an ISP that explicitly says 'no servers' your screwed
anyway.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but over here we have some
excellent isp's that have no problem whatsoever with running your own
servers. For example, my ISP says 'fine, go ahead, run your own mail
server on port 25'. What they will do however, for example, is checking
their customers port 25 for open relays and evil stuff like that. If
they find you have an open relay, they'll block your incoming port 25
and send you a message. They also provide a lot of info on security in
 general and email servers and open relays and stuff like that.

Would be nice if all ISP's did it like that. I mean, what good is it to
block port 25 and say 'too much virus/trojan crap'. I mean, how long
before those virusses/trojans find a way to extract your ISP's outgoing
smtp servers from your outlook configuration and use that instead of
sending directly? And what's the next step then, block all outgoing
traffic except for a connection you may make to their web proxy? That's
not Internet Service Providing, that's Internet Service Inhibiting.

Koen