Re: who should be able to vote?

2004-11-12 18:31:50
william(at)elan.net wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, wayne wrote:

I think it is reasonable to exclude people who have never been very
active from voting, and I think it is reasonable to include people
been around for a while but only post occasionally.

My suggestion is to allow everyone who has posted at least twice a
month over the last several months to vote.

Your suggestion is reasonable for the future once we have organization setup and want to make sure people who actively participate have a say
on what the organization does.

However we can not make this decsions without first getting "ok" from the community and this would require a separate vote to gather connsensus just on that point and I don't think its worth it. Therefore the only option we have right now is not to make any decision on who is considered active in spf or not (or if having to be active needs to be a requirement for voting) and just allow everyone who has ever participated in SPF to participate in the vote for council. After that council can work on the bylaws and specify the procedures for voting there and present it to the community for consideration. If community aggrees they will pass the bylaws which will allow to begin using that as basis for further elections. This is how democractic institutions function - you don't make the laws and rules up, you allow people to make decisions that effect their rights, especially the right
to vote.
Having been a (very) infrequent poster, but avid reader since October of 2003, I concur with William's notion. I don't know what the size of the membership of the spf-discuss list is, but I would think that anyone who is a member of the list should be able to vote, no matter their posting frequency.

From the list of people nominated, I don't believe that any attempted organized influence would make a difference. They are all active proponents of SPF and I personally don't see a problem with letting anyone who cares to, vote at this point.

My 2 cents,

-=Jeremy

(why does my from address get rewritten to my subscription address?)