Re: who should be able to vote?

2004-11-13 15:14:56

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Connor" <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 11:03 PM
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] who should be able to vote?

--Seth Goodman <sethg(_at_)GoodmanAssociates(_dot_)com> wrote:
An alternative is a web form that checks the permitted email addresses,
sends a validation email and waits for a response (either email or
browser
link contained in validation message) before the vote would count.  This
is just like signing up for a mailing list, but with the one additional
step of checking eligibility to vote based on claimed email address.

There is a way for listbox to collect "extra" information from
subscribers.
When turned on by an admin, it adds an extra question to the subscriber's
"manage your subscription" page:

For a test I have added a question "Favorite color:" to this page.

The downside of this is that others might be able to see or change your
vote, if you haven't set a password.  I am not sure how many subscriptions
have passwords and how many don't (mine didn't).  Even if you set a
password to protect your subscription (and your vote) there is no way for
the admin to know if you set that yourself or someone "helped" cast your
vote, if your subscription didn't previously have a password.

The other awkward thing about this feature is that it doesn't seem to be
downloadable in bulk - the admin has to visit each subscriber's info page
to see their vote.  So, that would be time consuming.

Given the above restrictions, it might be easier to just create a poll on
Evite or some free polling service or something.

It'll a private vote to a private e-mail address, and I'll publish the
results with everyone's submitted votes on a webpage so that everyone can
check that their vote was correctly received -- and that I can add ;-)

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492