RE: [IETF] Allocation of the new RR type for SPF

2004-11-13 05:40:00
I wrote:

A domain doing SES publishes "v=spf1 exists:%{l}._ses.%{o}
-all". Of course the receiver can interpret this record at it
desires, but if it uses it for anything else than the MAIL
FROM address, then it is just stupid.

Phillip answered:

I agree in that case, but that follows from the record itself, the
definition of {o} and {l} determine that.

I don't see the need for a scope record since the macros implicitly define
the scope.

Then following should be stated in the specification:

If there an %{l} macro but no %{i} macro in a "+exists" mechanism in the SPF
record or in any included SPF record or in any SPF record redirected to,
then the scope is "MAIL FROM only".

But I think saying "spf1 records are for MAIL FROM and HELO only" is much
better.

Roger