Re: [IETF] Allocation of the new RR type for SPF

2004-11-13 12:50:57
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

People are still using HTTP 0.9 despite the fact it has been
obsolete for 12 years.

There are valid _technical_ reasons to use HTTP 0.9, it works
with simple whois or gopher clients, you need only one line
in a request, e.g. <gopher://ietf.org:80/0GET%20/> works even
with my rather stupid "Mozilla 3" to get the raw HTML source
without HTTP headers, and without HTTP 1.1 chunks.

And the last time I read the HTTP 1.1 spec support for simple
(0.9) queries was at least optional, or maybe even required (?)

If you don't like it use virtual hosts, without a Host: header
in a request HTTP 0.9 GET queries are doomed to fail.

There are still people who use email clients that don't
understand HTML despite the fact its been standard for a
decade.

Anything with Content-Type: text/html to my "public" addresses
like nobody(_at_)xyzzy or Message-IDs goes directly to folder HTML,
and from there more or less completely to SpamCop.

Some web bugs still work when I check out spam manually before
reportig it, but I don't care, I have a "all spams reported"
policy.  And I like it if my MUA is more stupid than me, known
bugs are features.
                    Bye, Frank