Re: Poll on Organizing the Council

2004-11-13 12:14:06

First off, I agree with Frank and Meng, let's move these votes/polls
somewhere else.

In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0411130809110(_dot_)6768-100000(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
 "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> writes:

I'm going to conduct new poll on organizing itself because I do not think
current effort is going to go well and it is not representative of what
SPF community is expecting (but I may well be wrong).

I disagree, but I may well be wrong also.

This poll will last 5 days until Wednesday.

Hmmm...  I would hope the voting would start much sooner than that..

Questions:

1. Do you believe that SPF Organization (and SPF council) need to have
   defined rules of order to function properly and be able to represent
   SPF Community?
     Answers: YES/NO

No.

As far as rules go, I would first try using the IETF WG rules.  I
think they are better understood than RRoO(r)v10 and they work well in
practice.  If those rules aren't working *AND* it looks like things
could be productive if we had more formalized rules, then I think that
RRoO(r)v10 would be my next choice.

2. Do you want to see elections immediately for SPF council (answer
   no matter how you answered 1)?
     Answers: YES/NO

Yes.

   If answered YES, what do you believe this new council should do
   (answer each question separately):
     2a. Work on SPF charter and rules of conduct.  YES/NO

I think a charter would be good, and officially adopting the IETF WG
rules would be appropriate, but I could live without either.

     2b. Supervise SPF community activities as seen in part 3 of my
         original SPF Organization Questionnaire? YES/NO

Yes

3. If elections for the council are carried out without any formally
   approved rules, how long should the council function?
   Answers:
     b. For 6 months no matter what

4. What should be the rules for initial election for the council?
   Answers:
     a. Anybody at all (no restrictions for those on spf-discuss
        no matter if they posted before or not).

William, you have changed my mind on this issue, and I agree that this
would be best.

     b. Anybody who have participated in SPF Community (based
        on at least one post on spf-discuss mail list)

If a list of spf-discuss subscribers can't be obtained, I can generate
a reasonably good list of posters from near the beginning.  (Current
count is 627 email addresses, but I suspect that a half dozen to a
dozen of those are dups.)

     c. d.

I think both C and D are too short.

     e. Those who have participated more actively in SPF (at least
        2 posts every month for 3 of last 6 months)

I could live with this.

5. Who would you like to see conducting elections for SPF Community?
   (Give the name of one of the active SPF participants who you like
    to see do it. The person with more votes then others will be asked
    to do it. If he/she declines, then next person on the list, etc)

You can't bootstrap a democracy.

John Pinkerton seems to be doing a good job and I think he should
continue.

-wayne