RE: [spf-discuss] SPF council: new elections or disolve?

2005-11-03 04:51:38
I concur with those who want to maintain the current council until the
initial Experimental status of SPF is decided  and, if necessary, updated
and defended.  I would also be in favor of maintaining the existing council
during the next phase as well.  The most important thing right now is
"normalcy" within the council and not having to debate all of the "how to"
issues that surround an election in mid-stream.

Bruce Barnes

-----Original Message-----
From: wayne [mailto:wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 22:30
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] SPF council: new elections or disolve?

In
<7ae58c220511021306o279d647blb11cf889453f66b7(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Dotzero
<dotzero(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

I would be in favor of elections rather than simply extending terms by
fiat. There needs to be some sort of organization in place. Having
elections provides legitimacy to the council as representatives of
thsoe interested in SPF.

I would suggest that voting should be restricted to list participants
posting prior to Waynes email about this issue. This helps avoid the
ballot box being stuffed.

One problem with running a new election is that it took about a month last
time to decide who could vote, who could run (nominations/self-selection),
and how the votes would be counted.
It took about a month to decide how to run the domain name election.

Above, you suggest that only those who have participated on spf-discuss in
the last year should be able to vote.  Last year, I proposed a similar
requirement, but there were objections.  There are people who, quite
correctly, are valuable parts of the SPF community that rarely, if ever,
post to the list.  For example, Scott Perry has been incredibly support of
SPF and his SPF checks on DNSstuff.com have probably lead to wider
deployment of SPF than Microsoft's stuff on their website.

Last year, John Pinkerton took charge and did a huge amount of work to
organize and run the election.  Someone is going to have to step forward for
this one also.

-wayne

-------
Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/ Archives at