Re: [spf-council] Re: [spf-discuss] SPF council: new elections or disolve?

2005-11-14 11:16:35

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, wayne wrote:

I see the selection of the domain name to be quite different from the
selection of the SPF Council.  Maybe it is must me, but I *really*
dislike self-selecting organizations.

Self-selecting is not correct word, SPF Council would not select itself,
just establish rules to run proper election. Organizations that have
member-elected board of directors do this all the time.

OK, another thing to think about:  Next week is Thanksgiving in the
US.  For those outside the US, it is a holiday that always happens on
Thursday, and traditionally, it is a time when families travel to get
together.  So, it is very likely that many people will be out of the
loop from sometime Wednesday until sometime Sunday.

We ran into this problem last year during the council elections.

So, really, if there is going to be an election, it would need to be
organized this week, with voting starting next week and continuing
until the 30th.

I actually dislike that elections happen within this period and
considering number of holidays we have to be prepared that current
council might end up having to go through term extended by about
1 month, I dont have problem with small necessary extensions
(and this is not unusual for such organizations either - 12 months
is not exact day-day thing).

By organized, that means that we would need to decide who can vote,
who can run, who *is* going to run, what method the voting should be,
etc.  I'm not sure that we can fairly decide all this in a week.
Consider people who are on vacation this week.

I agree. See above, I think we got started late btw.

The fact that people weren't talking about the election last month,
and no one took charge of it when I brought it up at the beginning of
this month leads me to believe that people just aren't that
interested.  I think the Council has served a very useful purpose and
was well worth it.  I see nothing wrong with saying its job has
finished.

We all heard your opinion on this. But as you saw when this was brought
up there are number of people who did voice their opinion that election
(or vote for continuation of existing council) needs to happen.

P.S. Personally I forgot about this last month

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks