Re: [spf-council] Re: [spf-discuss] SPF council: new elections or disolve?

2005-11-12 23:59:20
Hi all,

Having read the thread about the future of the council, I don't have a strong feeling either way. I agree with Wayne that SPF itself can continue to grow on its own. I can see a valid way forward for SPF whether the Council continues or not.

If the council needs to be continued for a year or more, new elections would be the way to go. If there is consensus that a council is needed for a short time more, extending current terms for less than a year probably makes sense, especially if organizing an election is more work than the new council would actually do after being elected :)

Having a council is good for some tasks, and it's a good way to sidestep some of the problems that MARID suffered. Without official representation, it's possible for a minority to scuttle attempts to reach consensus. However, there is also a downside. Having a council can act as a deterrent to other people taking on tasks and getting things done.

Speaking personally, as a community member and not in any official capacity, I think once the Experimental draft is published, I am content to have the council dissolve. I don't have a burning need for "official" representation anymore.

If we don't have an official "SPF Council" in the future, it's also possible for people to organize themselves according to projects that need doing. That's also a valid way to go. People who are willing and able to work on the web site, or take on help requests, or to collect ideas for a new spf version, or whatever, can organize those projects and give decision-making power to the people who are actually willing to do the work. We might end up with "task force" type of organizations in that case. I would probably be in favor of this type of structure, rather than a "governing" body that is "The Authority on all things SPF".

Thoughts? comments?