Re: [spf-council] Re: [spf-discuss] SPF council: new elections or disolve?

2005-11-11 14:29:50
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)62(_dot_)0511111025540(_dot_)3211(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
 "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> writes:

I request that Chair of SPF Council organize Council meeting within next
two weeks with purpose to discuss its future. The particular topics I'd
request to be discussed:

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.  I managed to catch Greg Connor
on IRC and he didn't see any problems with holding a meeting soon.  I
haven't heard back from anyone else.  (Meng is most likely travelling
from the MAAWG/APWG meeting.)

 2c. If SPF Council is to dissolve then topic for discussion is who is to
     be responsible for assets of SPF Project (website, domain, etc) if
     there is no official body representing it and how any potential
     conflicts and problems are to be resolved

There really aren't many "assets of the SPF project".  The website is
all under freely distributable licenses and can be forked if needed.
The domain names are under my control, but I have already extended
most of them for another 5 years.  I can't think of anything else we
have.

Conflicts, like all open, loose, volunteer organizations, need to be
solved by consensus.  That is true even when there is something like
the SPF Council.  If SPF Council decided to go east, and everyone else
in the SPF community wanted to go north by northwest, there would be a
fork and the SPF Council would become irrelevant.

I guess if I thought there would be really serious problems with the
SPF Council going away, I would be fighting hard to keep it.  Right
now, it looks like it isn't critical to the future of SPF, so I'm
pretty neutral on it.

-wayne