Re: [spf-discuss] SPF Council requests additional information from SPF Community on if IAB appeal is appropriate

2006-02-06 15:00:38
On 06/02/06, Stuart D. Gathman <stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Jeff Macdonald wrote:

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:23PM -0800, william(at)elan.net wrote:

SPF Council would like request that SPF Community provide better
indication as to if an appeal to IETF IAB should or should not be made in
regards to misuse of v=spf1 records by Sender ID experiment. We request
that members of SPF Community (especially those who have not posted about
it before) clearly show their opinion on this issue and indicate
appropriate action (if any) that should be taken.

I support the appeal. My reasoning can be found here:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg05741.html

Your reasoning forcefully explains why "reuse abuse" is technically
and morally wrong (so what else is new with M$).  However, it doesn't explain
how another appeal is going to improve the situation.  Are you arguing that we
should appeal because it is the right thing to do, even if it means losing the
battle?  That kind of argument does appeal to me, I can be a "liberty of
death"
kind of guy.

I don't think that a second appeal (or 'an appeal of the appeal', as
Frank puts it) means 'loosing the battle'; on the contrary, I think
that a lack thereof means one's acknowledgement of the defeat by the
MS Corp of the SPF-Classic specification.

Microsoft has not won yet, don't hand out your arguments and continue
to struggle!

Cheers,
Constantine.

--
В. В. Путин о совершенстве, 24 декабря 2000 года: Если человека все
устраивает, то он полный идиот. Здорового человека в нормальной памяти