Re: [spf-discuss] SPF Council requests additional information from SPF Community on if IAB appeal is appropriate

2006-02-06 10:23:37
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Hector Santos wrote:

I don't support SenderID nor do we have any plans to do so?  Is there
going to be a harm to my product line operations and/or customers?  If
so, how so?

M$ implementations will read your SPF classic records, and pretend
that they are a sender policy for PRA instead of MFROM.  To stop this,
you will have to publish sender id records also.  So the "damage" is requiring
millions of domain owners that don't want to participate in sender id
to publish sender id records just so that they can continue to
participate in SPF classic and still be able to send mail to M$
customers.

But I'm not sure that a successful appeal will change the above.
The damage from M$ is real and inevitable whether we appeal or not.

To vote for the appeal, I need to be convinced that there are real benefits
from the appeal that outweigh the potential damages from the appeal (delay).

One benefit that has been mentioned is documenting the conflict.
Getting Wayne's draft as an RFC sooner will document the conflict also, it
mentions: "Checking other identities against SPF records is NOT RECOMMENDED
because there are cases that are known to give incorrect results."
But, unfortunately, that documentation is not as explicit as an actual appeal.