Re: [spf-discuss] SPF Council requests additional information from SPF Community on if IAB appeal is appropriate

2006-02-06 09:52:13
It should go without saying there is a lot of "politics" involved and
who benefits most from any of this.

You know I am a supporter of SPF, but lets look at the realities:

    -  True or not, this group is viewed a "rogue" group,
    -  Clearly, you don't have the support of the "key cogs,"
    - and you are dealing with Microsoft interest here too.

The first and last is not so much the problem as much is the lack of
support of various strong people as probably the most significant reason
why this "appeal" concept is well, "spitting against the wind."

Who do you  think they (IETG/IAB) people talk to when they pick up a
phone to contact and/or read input from so called "necessary folks" to
get some decision advice?   Even then, when it comes to a choice, it
will be very hard to decide against Microsoft.

This is why, in my opinion, unless there is a fundamental flaw and
something that you can show can create "damage" and "harm" it would be
very hard to altered the mindset that has prevailed.

You can see all this in motion with DKIM.  Fatally moving towards a
flawed premature implementation promotion, but does that matter?  No.
There is a mad rush to get this "RFCed" and there is too many powerful
entities involved with big strategic business interest to make it
happen.  The only way this can change if an important "Necessary Folk"
spoke up.   And even then, I doubt it.  They are not going to wait for
the IETF to sanction it.  It will happen anyway and inevitably,  the
IETF will have no choice but to ok it.   It is a rubber stamping process
at its best.

Anyway, it is probably ok to appeal to get it "on record."   But if you
didn't succeed before,  what has changed to make it succeed now?

I could only imagine taking an approach of proving  "damages"  like in a
court of law before it is taken seriously might present better odds of
getting people to seriously consider what the concerns are before they
making the inevitable predetermined decision anyway.

http://www.santronics.com

from SPF Community on if IAB appeal is appropriate