Re: [fetchmail] fetchmail fork?

2004-05-24 15:43:34
FYI,

I have sent Rob a mbox folder of thirteen mails, in that mbox are:

* Sunil's first cut of a splituid patch, which

   - switches fetchmail from one global .fetchids file to a .fetchmail
     directory that has per-account UID files)

   - drops pop3_slowuid()

   - implements a binary search for UIDL that speeds up a poll with the
     "keep" option with many mails on the POP3 server but is
     complemented by a slow UIDL download every n-th run, where n is
     configurable.

* My refined version of the patch (the same as on my site), i. e. with
  bugfixes for my configuration

* some discussion with Sunil about the patch

* one mail I sent to ESR (I got no answer) about the multidrop interface

I'll defer the decision which of the mails will be published to Rob, I'm
not a particular friend of publishing private mails, particularly as I
don't want to embarrass Sunil who marked the patch as "attempt". I'd
consider it a good attempt, but given that the last mail I received from
Sunil was dated 2003-12-03 and later mails haven't been answered, I
wonder if we could expect any response if we asked.

The other issue is we don't /officially/ know what license that patch
was supposed to be under, after all, it was not published, but sent for
review. We might assume that it was meant as GPL as such is what the GPL
expects of derivative works, but given it was not officially published,
that assumption might not hold water.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95