Re: [fetchmail] fetchmail fork?

2004-05-24 22:19:44
Matthias Andree wrote:
1- no license. Personally, I'd assume Sunil would use fetchmail's
   license, GPL.

Yes, any patch to fetchmail should be assumed GPL unless stated otherwise.

2- Sunil's mails have been private mails, and I am hesitating to publish
   these. *I* don't see anything that might embarrass him, but he might
   think otherwise, how do we know?

I thought about this for a while; it seemed a dilemma.  Then I looked
closer at the messages.  Some message were from you with no quoting, and
you're explicitly giving permission to publish.  Easy.  Of the remainder,
most were CC'd to Eric and contained nothing apparently private; these I
take as CC'd to the fetchmail maintainer, which is now "us".  That left
only one Sunil message remaining, and it was straight documentation; I
can't see how he'd disagree with that being made public.

So I've added all 13 messages to the archive I created, and added the
patches (with their attached messages) to the patch list.

I've also quickly skimmed through the patches and highlighted the ones that
look like they should be in the first round to go in.  I have not,
however, checked for conflicts between the patches, and I deliberately
left all the UID stuff for after the first round.  Let me know if anyone
disagrees with my choices there.

Last sign of life from Sunil that I have is dated 2003-12-03, any
subsequent mails I sent have not been answered yet. Last mail I've seen
from ESR was dated 2004-01-13. About ESR's whereabouts I know as much as
Rob summarized in the thread opener, nothing beyond.

The most recent message I see from Sunil was December 23. I hadn't realized
it had been so long; that's disappointing.

The most recent fetchmail-friends message I see from Eric was April 27,
after I CC'd him on my discussion with Brian about LAST.  He also had a
letter in last week's Linux Weekly News (regarding the Cisco code theft),
dated May 17.  And now thyrsus.com seems to be down.

--
==============================| "A slice of life isn't the whole cake
 Rob Funk <rfunk(_at_)funknet(_dot_)net> | One tooth will never make a full