Re: [fetchmail] fetchmail fork?

2004-05-25 05:06:50
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:13:31PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
HOWEVER, the DNS entries for Thyrsus.com doe not match the WHOIS
records, DNS returns:

$ host -t NS thyrsus.com.
thyrsus.com             NS      thyrsus.com
$ host -t A thyrsus.com.
thyrsus.com             A       66.92.53.140

The delegation matches. You have to remember that a zone contains NS records
too; if they don't match the NS records from the delegation, then either
they override them or are added to them, depending on which version of bind
you are running.

Your 'host -t' command is sending these requests to your local DNS cache of
course. Taking this out of the loop:

$ dig +norec @a.gtld-servers.net. thyrsus.com. ns
;; ANSWER SECTION:
thyrsus.com.            2D IN NS        grelber.thyrsus.com.
thyrsus.com.            2D IN NS        ns1.valinux.com.
thyrsus.com.            2D IN NS        ns3.valinux.com.
grelber.thyrsus.com.    2D IN A         66.92.53.140

(that matches 'whois')

$ dig +norec @ns1.valinux.com. thyrsus.com. soa
;; res_nsend: Connection refused

[this server is broken]

$ dig +norec @ns3.valinux.com. thyrsus.com. ns
;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; ANSWER SECTION:
thyrsus.com.            6h34m50s IN NS  thyrsus.com.

[this server is responding non-authoritatively - no 'aa' flag]

$ dig +norec @66.92.53.140 thyrsus.com. soa
;; res_nsend: Operation timed out

[this server is broken or unreachable]

I imagine that at some times when this box does respond, it responds with
the "NS thyrsus.com" that you have seen in your cache, and I've seen in
ns3.valinux.com's cache.

Anyway, the domain is totally borked. There's no point listing two
secondaries if they are lame.

Brian.