[ietf-dkim] Old issue: What is the role of SSP?

2006-09-21 21:37:53
- If SSP is going to be something other than an ignored add-on,
  then SSP-req/DKIM-base needs to have language ...

No way.

There is enough operational experience with DK that we can be
confident that DKIM will do what we expect it to.  SSP, on the other
hand, is purely a paper design with no operational history at all.
SSP's intentions to stop phishing are noble, but a lot of us have
grave doubts that SSP will be useful, and suspect that its goals will
be met in other ways.  It's probably worth standardizing SSP as an
experiment to find out what works and what doesn't, but not if that
puts DKIM at risk.

A lot of people who plan to use DKIM are not going to use SSP, no
matter what the spec says.  A spec that mandates SSP is a spec that's
not going to be implemented.

R's,
John