Re: [sieve] Working group last call on draft-ietf-sieve-include

2011-07-19 00:19:45
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Alexey Melnikov
<alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com> wrote:
Barry Leiba wrote:

The sieve-include doc looks ready to go.  Because Aaron and Cyrus are
both editors of this document, I'm playing doc shepherd and handling
chair duties related to the document.  And so here we start working
group last call on draft-ietf-sieve-include-10, which you can find
here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sieve-include-10

We've had good feedback on this, and I think it's solid.  Everyone,
please give it a last review and let us know whether you agree, or
whether you find anything that needs changing.  WGLC will end at the
end of July, just after the upcoming IETF meeting finishes.

Posts confirming that you've reviewed this version and agree that it's
ready are welcome.

I am mostly happy with this version, but I spotted several nits or minor
errors:

2.  Conventions Used in This Document

 script execution
    an instance of a Sieve interpreter invoked for a given message
    delivery, starting with the user's active script and continuing
    through any included scripts until the message is delivered.

Pedantic comment: does "reject" or "discard" qualify as "message delivery"?

3.1.  General Considerations

 Sieve implementations MUST generate an error at execution time if an
 included script does not exist.

This is no longer true due to the addition of the :optional tag.

3.2.  Control Structure include

       Usage:   include *[PARAMETERS] <value: string>
                PARAMETERS = LOCATION / :once / :optional
                LOCATION = :personal / :global

 The "include" command takes an optional "location" parameter, an
 optional ":once" parameter, an optional ":optional" parameter, and a
 single string argument representing the name of the script to include
 for processing at that point.  It is RECOMMENDED that implementations
 restrict script names according to MANAGESIEVE [RFC5804] Section 1.7.

Did you mean Section 1.6 ("Script Names") instead of 1.7 ("Capabilities")?

Probably was the right section in a draft version. Thanks for catching this.

Also, I think this requirement makes [RFC5804] Normative.

And finally, why is this not a MUST? Making a SHOULD level requirement seems
a bit weak in this case.

s/RECOMMENDED/MUST/ ?

4.  Security Considerations

 Sieve implementations MUST ensure that script names are checked for
 validity and proper permissions prior to inclusion, in order to
 prevent a malicious user from gaining acess to files accessible to

typo: access

 the mail server software that should not be accessible to the user.

5.1.  "include" Extension Registration

    Capability name: include
                     scripts, and the "global" command and "global"
                     variables namespace to access variables shared
                     among included scripts.

The "return" action is not mentioned here.