Re: [Nmh-workers] mh-v (was repl and mime handling)

2012-01-23 10:17:25

    rader> I'm not attempting to appeal to the masses.  I am
    rader> creating/have created a MH/nmh front end in perl + curses
    rader> that is very fast, vaguely emulates EXMH, does not use a
    rader> mouse, is Vim-ish and has GTK+ colorization.

I'll try her on it then.  I think it will appeal to her.

...so maybe try 1.0pre4 at http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~rader/mh-v/

I've processed 1800-some messages with it "in production" and it's taking shape
nicely.  There're about 75 commands that work--everything envisioned need
except
folder add/delete, find, filter/pick and global searches (mairix + matches
folder)

 http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~rader/mh-v/00README
 http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~rader/mh-v/MODES
 http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~rader/mh-v/COMMANDS

But... there's still no ./configure, no (pseudo) scrollbars and there's bugs WRT
hyperlinks (broken for linewrapped and can't have to 2nd when there's dups on
the screen.)

    >> How is the interface to folders?  My wife has hundreds of
    >> folders.

    rader> At startup, the cost is reading ~/Mail/.folders.
    rader> Navigating/changing folders is also done via "+FOLDER" or
    rader> ":FOLDER" (think Vim "colon command"), which includes tab
    rader> completion, almost no cost.  No folder listing is displayed
    rader> until asked for ("folders mode", where folders are listed in
    rader> the lower pane that usually displays "show" output.)
    rader> Invoking folders mode costs reading the .mh_sequences file
    rader> for each folder.  I have around 800 folders.  I hide all but
    rader> ~100 by not listing them in .folders.  (They all are still
    rader> accessable, of course.)

cool...  so is .folders compatible with running "folders >Mail/.folders"
nightly from cron?

Close: folders -fast > ~/Mail/.folders

But really the vision is to set it up once, with the very inactive folders
not listed,  so as to keep the folders listing and going to next unseen msg
(when not in the current folder) quick.   And then ":mkf" ":rmf" will update
.folders.

steve