Re: Anti-SPAM recommendations

1998-07-08 15:33:26
At 05:26 PM 7/8/98 +0200, you wrote:
- Jacques Gauthier <jacques_g(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>:

| if sender is the same as the receiver then it's spam

I don't think I have ever seen spam with this characteristic.
OTOH, I frequently make notes by sending mail to myself.

   Probably 35-40% of the spam that hits here has the receivers
address in the from field. We finally put in a simple sendmail
rule to prevent the sender and receiver from being the same, which
stopped it. Another very common tactic is for the spammers to use
a systems "internal" addresses for the from field,
eg support(_at_)yourdom(_dot_)ain or comments(_at_)yourdom(_dot_)ain, to get
around spam
filters. We finally had to blacklist our own "internal" addresses
to stop the spam. They still can receive mail, just cannot send any.

   Cliff Emberg                   http://www.nlife.com
   Systems Administrator                 cliff(_at_)nlife(_dot_)com
      Nightlife!