Re: where to put the .procmailrc file.

2001-01-12 12:01:10
Nilanjan Sircar wrote:
.procmailrc file in default MAILDIR='/home/mailserver'
not in /etc or in /home directory.
 But note that I have as many as 10 users there ruled
are all defined in that .procmailrc file and it is
working fine.

How do you know that

    /home/mailserver/.procmailrc

is actually being read by procmail?

Here's something to try.  Edit /home/mailserver/.procmailrc to contain
the following at the top of the file (i.e., before any recipes):

    LOGFILE=/tmp/FileThatDoesNotExist
    VERBOSE=yes
    LOGABSTRACT=all

Then send a message to nilanjan(_at_)shrilcal(_dot_)virtualave(_dot_)net or
sales(_at_)shrilcal(_dot_)virtualave(_dot_)net (or both).

Does the mail get delivered?  What's in /tmp/FileThatDoesNotExist?
If /home/mailserver/.procmailrc is being read by procmail, then there
should be a lot of stuff in /tmp/FileThatDoesNotExist .  If not, then
I'll guess that you can remove /home/mailserver/.procmailrc and mail
will just continue being delivered as before.

If you're using the stock procmail installation and you want to put
rules into a system-wide procmailrc, then I think it'll need to go
into /etc/procmailrc -- type

    strings /path/to/procmail|grep procmailrc

and see if you get anything about $MAILDIR/.procmailrc or anything
like that.

--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.