Re: Strange >From

2003-01-21 12:18:58
Sean first wrote,

| >This line would be (assuming the list server is escaping them):
| >
| > From the manuals, you can learn a lot of useful stuff.
   ^ Note the space (it isn't in the citation string; see the first quoted
line).

and followed up.

| Well, it's not the listserver, or my mail server - the above line wasn't
| escaped as received by me.  So, I humbly submit that it is something at
| Ruud's mailserver.

No, you can't submit anything, because your example was faulty.  You indented
"From " by one space -- or your outgoing mail handling did that -- and it was
not up against the left margin.  There's no reason to escape it when it isn't
immediately preceded by a newline.

From that example we learn nothing.
From this one, maybe we do.

(The above two lines will be sent with the F's flush left.  One is preceded by
a blank line and one is not.)