Re: Strange >From

2003-01-21 14:13:33
At 13:03 2003-01-21 -0600, David W. Tamkin did say:
No, you can't submit anything, because your example was faulty.  You indented
"From " by one space -- or your outgoing mail handling did that -- and it was
not up against the left margin.  There's no reason to escape it when it isn't
immediately preceded by a newline.

On investigation, it appears that my MUA appears to tweak it (quite possibly as a guard against the very mbox escaping we are speaking of - I guess an erran leading space might be considered less obnoxious than an inserted character). It doesn't appear that way on screen, either when authoring it or when reading the received copy (and I KNOW I entered it flush left). That's annoying - but then, the software already stores messages in the outbox in HTML, even if when you go to send them, you're not _using_ HTML.

(The above two lines will be sent with the F's flush left. One is preceded by a blank line and one is not.)

Yet _both_ were received escaped here. The second simply should not have been, since it would not have been confused for a mbox separator (excepting by the most braindead of software).