Re: Strange Truth > Fiction

2003-01-21 17:47:24
Sean followed up,

| On investigation, it appears that my MUA appears to tweak it (quite
| possibly as a guard against the very mbox escaping we are speaking of - I
| guess an errant leading space might be considered less obnoxious than an
| inserted character).

I'm very sure that's why.  I often do that very thing for that very reason.
When I used to run a mailing list and had control of such things, I had the
software indent a leading "From " in the body by one space, because I knew
that ">From " would confuse most of the subscribers.

| >(The above two lines will be sent with the F's flush left.  One is
| >preceded by a blank line and one is not.)
|
| Yet _both_ were received escaped here.

Both were escaped everywhere.

| The second simply should not have
| been, since it would not have been confused for a mbox separator (excepting
| by the most braindead of software).

Let's say that some are overcautious about what may happen downstream.
Consider quoted/unprintable encoding, which changes every capital F at the
beginning of a line to "=46," even if the next four characters are not "rom "
and the preceding line is not blank.