Re: considering XML

2004-01-21 13:40:22
----- Original Message -----
From: "Meng Weng Wong" <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] considering XML

Ultimately I think it comes down to different cultures. XML in DNS is
not acceptable to the culture that reads Slashdot, runs Linux, and
discusses standards openly on mailing lists. XML in DNS is a brilliant
idea in the culture that controls the market for MUAs on the desktop and
redefines the technology landscape on a regular basis.

I guess you have me at a loss here. SPF record will be exchanged/interpreted
on a level nowhere near the desktop. Mail::SPF::Query does not need it. In
fact, properly decoding XML is a lot harder than the pretty straightforward
left-to-right decoding done now. I mean, if the markup would make it easier
to 'understand' the record (both for humans and machines), that would be one
thing. But it makes thing rather illegible for humans, and requires a huge
library overhead for machines.

If we are talking about Microsoft -- and I have the nagging suspicion that
we are -- then please ask them why their .NET platform, while it heavily
relies on XML in general, also requires XML to be present in DNS records. :)

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,