Re: considering XML

2004-01-21 12:35:45
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:09:49PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong asserted:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:53:07PM -0500, George Schlossnagle wrote:
| IMHO 'human-readable' data formats are over-rated when their
| consumers are all automated processes.

That's actually an argument in favour of XML.

It's easier for machines to read, because we already have XML libraries
and a toolkit.

SPF is easier for humans to write but at the end of the day most people
are still using a wizard.

             SPF                           XML

  easy for lay people to write      slightly harder for lay people to writep
  easy for XML nerds to write       very easy for XML nerds to write
  new parsers have to be written    parsers kind of already written
  less extensible                   theoretically more extensible

thoughts?

I remember marvelling at my shiney new Maxtor 6043 40 Meg drive.  Golly!  I
could store a whole lot of stuff on that.  Surely more than I would ever need.
And at US$575, it had better store enough for a while.

Well, I was not forward thinking enough back then.

Perhaps you could include the provision for an XML record in the specification
with a recommendation that the existing method be used until a business case
drives the change.  With the speed of consensus being what it is, you are right
to consider the future needs.  I just don't see them yet.  Much like I didn't
see SPF before you mentioned it.

--

Bob Greene
Public key available at