Re: Re: clamav plugin?

2004-01-30 06:33:14
"Wechsler" <wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> wrote:
Guillaume Filion wrote:
I know that the spec is frozen, but how bad would it be to change the
header from something like:
Received-SPF: unknown (domain of sender domain.com does not designate
mailers)
to something like:
mailers); 25 Jan 2004 22:52:52 -0000

I'm no expert but it would seem to me that it would respect RFC822/2822.
I'm going to put both in my version of qpsmtpd so that clamav will work
correctly at least.

This is frankly utterly insane.

I'll admit that it's not the best idea I had this week.

The meaning of Received: is established. It has NOTHING to do with the
use you are putting it to here and instead your proposal will break
parsing of genuine Received: headers.

The RFC only requires the Received: header to end with a semi-colon and a
timestamp. In practice we see a lot of Received: headers that don't respect
the "established" meaning you're refering to. For example, qmail adds a lot
of those: Received: (qmail 17599 invoked by uid 0); 29 Jan 2004
23:48:33 -0000

"Wechsler" <wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> wrote:
Received-SPF: and Received: are two completely different headers. Anyone
who can't write a parser to tell the difference shouldn't be coding.

"Julian Mehnle" <lists(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> wrote:
You mean, it will work around things that are already broken, like when
expecting a "Received:" line at the top of the headers?

The idea is to break the least number of things. Using Received-SPF break a
somewhat popular program, ClamAV. It would be interesting to know if it
breaks more programs. I speculate that using Received instead of
Received-SPF would break less things, and that's why I'm proposing it.

Cheers,
GFK's
--
Guillaume Filion, ing. jr