Re: Is Return-Path as available as we think?

2004-02-05 18:40:28
Justin Mason [jm(_at_)jmason(_dot_)org] wrote:
- fetchmail then downloads the message, and looks for an env-from to use
when it resends it. It picks the X-Sender header over the
Return-Path, unfortunately. There's the error...

"Julian Mehnle" asked:
What's the reasoning behind this? Maybe fetchmail is broken anyway?

Justin Mason replied:
Yes, it's incorrect. But there's a lot of broken software on
the internet that we all have to deal with ;)

Actually, in this case I think you have an EXCELLENT chance of
getting the software fixed.  The prime person behind fetchmail is
Eric Raymond, who has also been personally advocating SPF
(see http://lwn.net/Articles/66877).  Please figure out specifically
what's wrong, what it should be changed to and why, and send him an
email (esr at thyrsus.com).

Then you have the problem of getting people to upgrade, but at
least you've lessened the problem.

--- David A. Wheeler <dwheeler(_at_)dwheeler(_dot_)com>

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)œ§ÅvÂŒðŠŸØߎëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com