Re: [srs-discuss] Re: SRS concern

2004-04-16 08:01:13
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Shevek wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

We need to pause a moment to see where things stand.  Can we review the
state of SRS support for postfix, sendmail, qmail, and the other MTAs?

The command-line interface makes it possible to just pipe to
srs-forward.  I think that got written already ... ?

srs-forward didn't get written by me yet but will get written this
weekend. I will release by Monday.

I have a Python RPM for adding SRS and SES to sendmail.  The sendmail
hooks are based on programs maps derived from the m4 sendmail HACK by
Alain Knaff and on Python milter.  The milter validates SES signatures
to detect forged bounces.  The program maps transform the envelope from
at the proper stage within sendmail.  Just the pysrs RPM will enable
a site to forward SPF compatible mail.  The milter will validate bounces
as well as check SPF.  (SPF requires pydns module.)

http://bmsi.com/python/pysrs.html
http://bmsi.com/python/milter.html

These RPMs are in production on 6 systems with 70+ active users each.  Not
an ISP, but substantial traffic.  The bottleneck of loading Python for
each program map invocation will be fixed by the new 'socket' map
coming out for sendmail.

The pysrs RPM includes a socker server that will work with Qmail (and
sendmail when it implements the socket map).

The SRS algorithm was ported from the Perl SRS version 0.30.

      "Very few of our customers are going to have a pure Unix
      or pure Windows environment." - Dennis Oldroyd, Microsoft Corporation