Re: Logo aka branding aka identity issue

2004-05-26 12:14:30
On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 10:47, Greg Connor wrote:

I think we need to come up with a name to rally both SPF and CID under,
unless one or the other camp would like to just rally under the other's
flag for the sake of common name recognition.  SPF has earned a lot of
notice in the technical community, while CID has probably a bit more press
in the mainstream.

I actually believe that SPF has received more press starting since the
first ./ article (the second ./ we had received at that stage) of AOL
publishing.  Coincidentally we were just ./ed again a few hours ago:
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/05/26/1244250.shtml?tid=109&tid=111&tid=126&tid=187&tid=95

As an example, google: "caller id" and then google "spf".
The 4th hit is accurate for what we're looking for with caller id, in
addition to not being the 1st result, its also the only result on that
page within the specified criteria.  Looking for SPF you'll find that
its the top three results excluding the "Stock Quotes" commercial
placement ad.

Personally I think Caller-ID is an inappropriate title considering that
we're dealing with e-mail here anyway, it lends its self to confusion
given the existence of Caller-ID in telephony, despite slogans being
touted in articles such as 'Caller-ID for E-mail.  Spend a moment and
just think about the title "Caller-ID for E-mail", thats about as useful
as "A name-tag for your name-tag".

SPF on the other hand is short, easy to remember its extrapolated
meaning, whilst still remaining technically accurate, and when comparing
digital media to its idiot box equivalents, SPF has been in the
spotlight more than the Olsen twins and camera whore Paris Hilton
combined since the beginning of the year.

In addition to the above stated points, we're not selling this to end
users (MS's typical audience), we're trying to raise the brow of
competent (hopefully) network administrators who shouldn't require
"swaying" with fancying marketing slogans that literally don't make
sense like "Caller-ID for E-mail".

Were a merging of the names necessary due to political bullshit I
personally lean towards "SPFID" since therein may lie a possible meaning
that could be associated with it outside of just kludging acronyms
together.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

James