Re: Microsoft & Sender ID - SPF confusion as of mid July 2004

2004-07-14 16:48:25
Good on you for saying this and I think that many of us know it.
I wanted to make sure that everyone knew it.

The "big deal" here is that the license they're trying to use (which is a "RAND" license) was applicable to Caller-ID but so far as we know is not
applicable to SPF which is where the standard is sitting right now.
On the one hand we really don't know what their IP claims pertain to, just that it is something that was in Caller-ID. However, the marid-core document (both the -01 draft that has been published, and the upcoming -02 as I understand it), include the PRA algorithm from Caller-ID (looking through the headers to find the responsible domain, rather than using the envelope MAIL FROM). It is my understanding that that is the thing they have patent pending on, though I cannot be sure.

Note that as far as I know, the SPF record format and the algorithm for checking a domain and host ip against it are not in any way. The protocol-00 draft (now published by the IETF secretariat) covers these areas. Nor do I think that Microsoft is asserting licensing terms over these parts.

        - Mark

Mark Lentczner
http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/
markl(_at_)glyphic(_dot_)com