RE: Dealing with SPF problems

2005-04-04 20:39:24
Well, once SPF is applied our next step will be to publish domains BL
servers, because of lot open proxy viruses and troyan horses IP BL gona be
usual, ok, not usaul, maybe less usefull :)

In another post I have explaind my "weird" reason to have list for 4 and 8
points instead 2 and 6 and why I'm trying to maintain negative pass score.
69000 rejected spam for month, more then 50000 are from local IP most
@hotmail.com & @yahoo.com

Most of these local spammers aren't prof like some known to you all, they
using old applications and old technique, brute force :)

Anyone have idea why yahoo didn't publish spf ?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Stuart
D. Gathman
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 11:13 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Dealing with SPF problems

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 dejanspf(_at_)ztbclan(_dot_)com wrote:

Sorry, this is bad definition, I have problem to balance some other
mechanism which afect indirectly spamassasin, to explain better should be
:

pass     ->   -3 spamassasin score
softfail ->   +2 spamassasin score
neutral  ->   0 spamassasin score

The +2 for softfail is reasonable, but I don't think that SPF pass by itself
should affect spam score.  Spammers have no problem with publishing SPF.
SPF prevents forgery, not spam.  While a forgery is likely to be criminal
spam, an SPF pass is actually *more* likely to be semi-legit/sleazy spam due
to the fast uptake of SPF in the spam community.  (I posted some actual
stats from my server a while back.) What SPF enables is rejecting forgeries
and whitelisting with confidence via SPF pass.

You should keep stats on spam/ham vs SPF/pass to see if I'm right.

"Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus addictis" - background song for a
Microsoft sponsored "Where do you want to go from here?" commercial.

-------
Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/ Archives at
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf