Re: [ietf-dkim] Whither 4871bis?

2009-05-04 22:37:08
Procedure point:

Maybe somebody can clarify whether you can roll errata from a PS and
go directly to draft. I gather from Eliot that you can't (?).

My reading of things:
The 15 *real* errata won't stop anything.  They're really minor
changes, and could be rolled into an updated 4871 that goes in as
Draft Standard now.

The "update" document that we just submitted does not qualify in that
regard.  But it does "update 4871", so we could advance the updated
DKIM spec to Draft Standard six months after that document is
approved.

I don't think that's really a limiting factor, though.  It means that
if we want to bring DKIM base to Draft Standard, we could do it by the
end of this year, and that's likely as soon as we'd get to finishing
it anyway.

So the questions are whether DKIM base, with the recent update, would
be ready by then, and whether we care to do it.  Mike and John, in a
rare display of agreement, have both opined that "no one cares" about
it.  There is that thought: the IETF three-stage standards track is
meaningless, and that once something becomes Proposed Standard that's
good enough.

Barry