Re: Re: will resistant MTAs be fronted with commercial antispam gateways?

2004-02-10 14:33:20
Matt Perry <matt(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com> [2004-02-10/13:04]:
Nearly every person that I tell about SPF comes back with the same
statement: "I don't like SPF because it breaks forwarding." I respond
that SRS fixes that to which they respond, "where are the SRS
patches?"

The problem is that while you can implement SPF on your MTA, some form
of return path rewriting (eg. SRS) must be implemented on _all the MTAs
that forward to yours_. Normally, you have no control whatsoever over
those. So before somebody can safely implement SPF, everybody else has
to have SRS implemented already, or bad things will happen...

This is basically the reason why I do return path rewriting and even
publish SPF records for my domains, but do not implement SPF, and
probably will not any time soon.

So in my opinion, it is way too early to try to get people to adopt SPF.
Getting the concept of return path rewriting widely adopted should be
more important. A solid SRS specification, along with mature reference
implementations might help...

Cheers,
Dan

--
    Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel(_at_)roe(_dot_)ch>
    OpenPGP key id 0x804A06B1 (1024/4096 DSA/ElGamal)

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-20040209.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com